I am an Assistant Professor at the Delft University of Technology in the Department of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science. I am a member of the Interactive Intelligence section.
Main Research Interests
- Cognitive Agents and Agent Programming Languages
Cognitive agents are software agents that maintain a mental state consisting of knowledge, beliefs, and goals. Cognitive agents support autonomous and strategic decision making and derive their choice of action from their beliefs and goals.
- Multi-Agent Coordination
Cognitive agent technology and approaches for coordinating multiple agents can be applied in many areas, including, a.o., in robotics, multi-agent based simulation, serious gaming, and negotiation. I am particularly interested in:
- Cognitive Robotics and Multi-Robot Coordination
The design and development of cognitive control for robots requires the integration of many different techniques from AI in a single embedded system. As such, it is closely related to research on the integration of various abilities into software agents. Multi-agent coordination finds a very interesting application in the coordinating of the behavior of multiple robots that need to perform and solve a common task as a team.
- Automated Bilateral and Multi-Party Negotiation
I am interested in negotiation strategies, opponent modeling (learning), negotiation domain modelling, and various other aspects of (bilateral) automated negotiation. In particular, I am interested in using qualitative preferences in negotiating agents though my work in this area is still initial. For an overview of related work in our group you should go here.
I wrote my PhD Thesis Programming with Mental Models about agent languages. Currently, I am working on the GOAL agent programming language.
I organize(d) the following events:
- ProMAS 2008: Sixth international Workshop on Programming Multi-Agent Systems, Estoril, Portugal, May 13th, 2008.
- CIA 2007: Eleventh International Workshop on Cooperative Information Agents, Delft, The Netherlands, September 19-21, 2007.
I am/have been a member of the program committees of the following events:
- NMR 2008: Twelfth International Workshop on Non-Monotonic Reasoning, Sydney, Australia, September 13-15, 2008.
- AAMAS 2008: Seventh International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, Estoril, Portugal, May 12-16, 2008.
- ACAN 2008
- COIN@AAAI 2008
- LAM 2008: Logics for Agents and Mobility, Hamburg, Germany, August 4-15, 2008
- EUMAS 2007
- BNAI 2007